We aim for our Music curriculum to:
- Engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music,
- Enable pupils to develop skills needed as a musician which will therefore increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement,
- Give children the opportunities to experience music from a range of historical periods, genres, styles and traditions as well as developing an understanding of composers and musicians,
- Teach children to sing and use their voices and to create and compose music independently and collaboratively,
- Support the children’s learning about technology and enable them to use this to help them progress with their music skills,
- Give children the understanding of and chance to explore how music is created, produced and communicated.
We use Charanga to support us with this which is an incredible resource supported by Northamptonshire Music and Performing Arts Trust (NMPAT) to bring our curriculum alive. The progression overview documents can be viewed below. Charanga takes the children on an exciting musical journey from Reception through to Year 6.
We also have an excellent relationship with NMPAT who deliver Guitar, Piano and String lessons within school. We also have 'First Access' whole class lessons which deliver recorder to Year 3 and 4. At Chipping Warden Primary Academy, we also pride ourselves in the quality of our singing in our school. Singing is important in our school and everyone has the opportunity to practise a variety of songs in our weekly Singing Assembly.