Art & Design
Art and Design at Chipping Warden Primary Academy
At Chipping Warden Primary Academy, we believe that all aspects of Art and Design should be a source of pleasure within the whole curriculum. We aim to develop a child’s creative capacity helping them to see the world with increasing degrees of depth and analysis, as well as to take delight in what they see.
Pupils in EYFS and KS1 will:
- Explore colour and how colours can be changed.
- Understand that they can use lines to enclose a space, and then begin to use these shapes to represent objects.
- Begin to be interested in and describe the texture of things
- Join construction pieces together to build and balance.
- Realise tools can be used for a purpose.
- Use drawing, painting and sculpture to share ideas, experiences and imagination.
- Develop techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space using clay and printing to a large scale and in 3D.
- Be taught about the work of a range of artists, craftsmen and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines and making links to their own work.
Pupils in KS2 will:
- Use sketchbooks to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas, and collect visual materials to help them to develop their ideas.
- Improve their mastery of techniques such as drawing, painting and sculpture with materials (e.g. pencil, charcoal, paint and clay).
- Develop their understanding of art history.